There is a small picture I carry in my wallet. It pictures me when I was very young. It is just another way that I can identify with kids. I remember when and where that picture was taken. It keeps me young just to see it occasionally.
A friend sent me some ‘mental photos’ of kids. What they said, how they thought, where they went and what they did. Let me share a few of these with you.
- At the end of the day when a policeman parked his van in front of the station and he gathered his equipment, his K-9 partner, Jake, was barking. A little boy was staring at him and said excitedly, “Is that a dog you got back there?” “It sure is”, he replied. Puzzled, the boy looked at him and then toward the back of the van and finally he said, “What’d he do?”
- A little girl was watching her parents dress for a party. When she saw her dad donning his tuxedo, she warned, “Daddy, you shouldn’t wear that suit.” “And why not darling?” “You know that one always gives you a headache the next morning.”
- A little girl had just finished her first week of school. “I’m just wasting my time”, she said. “I can’t read, I can’t write and they won’t let me talk”.
- I was driving with my three young children one warm summer evening when a woman in a convertible ahead of us stood up and waved. She was stark naked! As I was reeling from the shock, I heard my 5-year-old shout from the back seat, “Mom, that lady isn’t wearing a seat belt!”
- On the first day of school, a first-grader handed his teacher a note from his mother. The note read, “The opinions expressed by this child are not necessarily those of his parents.”
- A woman was trying hard to get the ketchup to come out of the jar. During her struggle the phone rang so she asked her 4-year-old daughter to answer it. “It’s the minister, Mommy,” the child said to her mother. Then he added. “Mommy can’t come to the phone to talk to you right now, she’s hitting the bottle”.
- A little boy got lost in the YMCA and found himself in the woman’s locker room. When he was spotted, the room burst into shrieks, with ladies grabbing towels and running for cover. The little boy watched in amazement and then asked, “What’s the matter, haven’t you ever seen a little boy before?”
Jesus said, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3-4).
Out of the mouth of babes comes marvelous words.