- “Redeemed” – Lesson One – ADAM – Prophecy Of A Coming Savior
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Two – ABRAHAM: Promise Of A Coming Savior
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Three – The Law Of MOSES
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Four – The Cross Of CHRIST
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Five – The Simple New Testament Plan of Salvation
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Six – Saved By Grace
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Seven – “The Church – The Family Of God”
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Eight – “The Brotherhood”
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Nine – “The Holy Spirit – How He Works In The Life Of Christians Today!”
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Ten – “Be Filled With The Holy Spirit”
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Eleven – “Today Is The Day Of Your Salvation”
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Twelve – “Heaven Bound”
- “Redeemed” – Lesson Thirteen – “Gehenna” “The Final Place Of The Wicked”
- “Redeemed” – “A Personal Note From Dad”
(This series is taken from the book “Redeemed” by Jack Exum, published in e-Book format on Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/488224 (as well as on Amazon.com).
The study of “LAW” doesn’t ‘excite’ me. Some may enjoy it, and it’s actually it is pretty important to this whole study. Trying to be saved by it, well, that’s the hang-up! Grace just cannot work under law.
The Law of Moses was given 430 years after God made his promise to Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3; Galatians 3:17). The importance of this will become clear.
“Law” does three things: 1.) Law PROVIDES guidelines and boundaries, 2.) Law PROHIBITS doing or not doing certain things, and 3.) Law PROTECTS those who are obedient. Obviously this isn’t a bad thing, but Law cannot save us from sin!
Paul describes the situation with NON-JEWS in Romans 1:18-32, where you see all kinds of disobedience and sin mentioned… and even though, because they have moral laws (Romans 2:14-15), it is obvious this law also condemns all who are under it because no one is perfect. It’s not good enough to be ‘a good moral person,’ because of this fact. The ‘law’ of conscience cannot save from sin.
Paul describes the situation of JEWS in Romans 2. They had the Law, the Temple, the sacrifices priests, the covenants etc… but Jews are lost as well, because they cannot keep the Law perfectly either. The blood sacrifices of bulls and goats didn’t take away sin, so they are not any better off than the Gentiles in this respect (Romans 3:20-23).
Law has one purpose, to REGULATE, to make people aware of their sinfulness. It was meant to bring people to the realization, that everyone needs to come to Jesus and be saved by grace through faith… not law keeping, (Galatians 3:19-25). In other words, “ALL HAVE SINNED” (Romans 3:23).
The basic function of LAW regarding the ‘law-breaker’ is to (1) INDICT (2) CONVICT (3) PUNISH. Law is not designed to save anyone or anything. There is no sacrifice or atonement in law… no Redeemer or Savior. “For by law is the knowledge of sin” (Romans 3:20).
The problem was and is that we cannot LIVE UP to the requirements and standard of law perfectly! Instead of law being a ‘salvation bringer,’ it brings a curse. But, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us…” (Galatians 3:13). He (Jesus) became our substitute sacrificial ‘ram.’ Instead of us dying for sin, He did. You cannot earn or ‘out-perform’ that. We are “saved by grace through faith.”
This is why Paul says, “…through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death” (Romans 8:2).
Gentiles are lost. Are you a Gentile (non-Jew)? Then without Christ you are lost. Jews were lost. Are you a Jew? Then without Jesus (the Messiah) you are lost. All must come to Jesus in FAITH, not through law keeping.
Good news! Jesus came to “seek and save (us all).” Paul said, “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile” (Romans 1:16).
(All references are from the 2011 edition of the NIV.)