- Study Of John (Let’s Get Started)
- Gospel of John – Lesson Two – John 1:6-7, 15, 19-36 -“Big John”
- Gospel Of John – Lesson Three – John 1:35-51 – “Glory Of The Ordinary”
- Gospel of John – Lesson Four – John 2 – Water, Wine and Miracles
- Gospel of John – Lesson Five – John 2b – Cleansing Out God’s House!
- Gospel of John – Lesson Six – John 3 – A New What???
The Gospel of John – “The Heart of New Testament Teaching” – Part One – John 1:1-18
John begins with four distinct pictures of Christ:
1. In relation to Deity – He is God: 1:1; Hebrews 1:1-4
JW teachings = ancient Gnosticism resurrected 1.) Jesus = NOT God but is first creation of God (thus a lesser god) thru whom God created the physical (evil) universe. Their New World Translation Bible reads, “… and the Word was a god.” 2.) Jesus was not physically resurrected. (For other differences Google and Compare: “Five Beliefs That Set
Jehovah’s Witnesses Apart From Other Christians.”)
Why is it important that John teaches Jesus = The Word/ is God?
2. In relation to the physical world – He is life giving Creator: 1:2-3; Hebrews 1:1-4;
How is God being the life and the giver of life like Jesus being the life (14:6) and
giver of life?
Why is this important for us now?
In relation the physical world, what are we?
3. In relation to the Moral (darkness) world – He is Light: 1:4, 5, 9; Genesis 1
In what way is Jesus the “light of the world?” Vs. 9
What is significance of “true light?” Response?
In relation to the moral (darkness) world what are we? Response?
4. In relation to lost humanity – He is Hope: 1:10-13; Hebrews 2:10-18
How is Jesus the hope of humanity?
In relation to the lost, what are we?
How can we make our light ‘dim,’ ‘bright?’
5. In relation to the Father – He is the embodiment/ revealer: 1:14-18; Hebrews 1:1-4;
In what visible ways did Jesus reflect the Father?
Are we to do the same? How can we do this?
John 1:10-13 Read
“… the world (Gentiles) did not know him… His own (Jews) did not receive him.”
Becoming a “child of God” involves what? (One word in vs. 13).
With whom and where does Jesus elaborate on this?
John 1:14,16-18; I John 1:1ff Read
This is the heart of John’s Gospel.
“Grace” = Embodiment of grace. (How he deals with the lost.)
“Truth” = Embodiment/ Communicator of/ truth which makes people free.
In a world where Pilate’s question, “What is truth?” why is Jesus so important?
What is the significance of “Law/Moses” and “grace/truth by Jesus”?
(Read Barclay’s Commentary John Volume 1, page 54 at top.)
Next: TESTIMONY OF JOHN THE BAPTIZER (1:6-7,15, 19-36.)
Why do you think so much is said about John the baptizer?