- Study Of John (Let’s Get Started)
- Gospel of John – Lesson Two – John 1:6-7, 15, 19-36 -“Big John”
- Gospel Of John – Lesson Three – John 1:35-51 – “Glory Of The Ordinary”
- Gospel of John – Lesson Four – John 2 – Water, Wine and Miracles
- Gospel of John – Lesson Five – John 2b – Cleansing Out God’s House!
- Gospel of John – Lesson Six – John 3 – A New What???
Text: John 1:6-7, 15, 19-36
(and other passages)
* No disrespect to John, but I would be a bit nervous about meeting this guy (Rough wilderness life! Lived off the land, dressed/Camel’s hair! Definitely not politically correct!)
Gathering some FACTS and THOUGHTS
1. After reading the text and other passages listed below: How would you characterize John’s preaching. ______________________________________________________________________
2. What was Jesus’ impression of John? Matt. 11:7-11 ______________________________________________________________________
3. Why do you think so much time is dedicated in John’s Gospel to John the baptizer? (Could it be that there were some followers of John who placed too much emphasis on him instead of who John was pointing to?)
4. After reading John 1 and 5:33-35, what OTHER possible problem is John dealing with in his Gospel (not Gnosticism)? ______________________________________________________________________
5. John, the prophet who was like Elijah (Luke 1:12-17).
Read about Elijah (I Kings 17- 2 Kgs. 2)
How would you describe Elijah? How was John like Elijah? ______________________________________________________________________6. WHY is it noteworthy that John is first mentioned in Jesus list of witnesses mentioned in John 5:31-47? ______________________________________________________________________7. What were the dominant topics of John’s preaching? Mark 1:4-8; Lk. 3 ______________________________________________________________________
8. How did people react? ______________________________________________________________________
9. How did leaders react and how did John respond? Why? ______________________________________________________________________
10. John’s baptism and that of Jesus are different… HOW? Lk. 3:16 ______________________________________________________________________
11. Explain the Chaff/Fire and the Wheat/Barn significance in Luke 3:15-17 in light of the text?
a.) Who received the baptism of FIRE?
b.) Who received the baptism of SPIRIT? (You may want to pursue deeper study on this particular point by comparing it with John 3; Acts 2:38-39.)
c.) How does this apply to those who rejected Jesus as opposed to those who became believers in Jesus?
Applications: John, BOLD and HUMBLE
* What are some lessons we learn from how John carried out his mission which we can apply to ourselves?
* How was John’s humility seen, and what can we learn about true humility from John?
* What should we expect when reach people for Jesus? How should we respond?