- Study Of John (Let’s Get Started)
- Gospel of John – Lesson Two – John 1:6-7, 15, 19-36 -“Big John”
- Gospel Of John – Lesson Three – John 1:35-51 – “Glory Of The Ordinary”
- Gospel of John – Lesson Four – John 2 – Water, Wine and Miracles
- Gospel of John – Lesson Five – John 2b – Cleansing Out God’s House!
- Gospel of John – Lesson Six – John 3 – A New What???
Sunday Class – Book of John – Lesson 5 – “Cleaning out God’s house”
Texts: John 2:13-25 (cf. Mtt.21:12-13; Mk. 11:15-17; Lk. 19:45-46)
Some things to remember:
– John is not focused on chronology as much as his overall purpose and goal. (John 20:31)
– Jerusalem: The center of Jewish culture, government and of course religion because the temple was there. In fact, all three of these things were closely tied together.
– Passover – Commemorates Israel’s deliverance from Egypt (Exodus 11-12).
– Every adult male within 20 miles = required to attend and participate.
– Barclay records: Sometimes 2.25 million assembled for the Passover feast coming from all areas of Roman Empire
– A Temple tax was required for entrance (one half-shekel/ two days wages)
– “Money changers” – Exchanging of currencies because foreign currency was considered unclean. Extra chargers resulted in profit for changers and hardship on people.
– Animal sacrifices – Inspectors appointed/ Fee for inspection/ Animals bought outside = half the charge of purchase in temple area/ Animals bought o/side were certain to be rejected/ Resulting in “extortion” of the poor/ All in the name of pure religion!
– “God dwells in temples not made with hands.” Yet over the Centuries more and more attention and money has been given to the PLACE where one “connects” with God, with more and more regulations as to what can and cannot be done inside and outside these buildings. What you think? ________________________________________________
The anger of Jesus – Discussion Questions:
1. Was Jesus over-reacting in verse 15? What about “Be angry but do not sin.” (Eph. 4:26-27) What is “righteous anger?” _________________________________________
2. What are some examples where it is “right” to be angry? ______________________
What makes “anger” sinful (and dangerous)?__________________________________
3. Jesus drove all out of temple area, but to those who sold doves Jesus says, “Get these out of here! Stop making my Father’s house into a market!” Why?
4. Is this the same as having a “Yard Sale” on the church parking lot? BBQ/Games/Kitchen/Dinners/Girl Scouts/N/A/ CR/ Weddings/Funerals and other activities on church property? Why? Why not? ________________________________
5. What is God’s house? Where is the “sanctuary?” What would desecrate “God’s house” today? __________________________________________________________
6. There were two responses mentioned regarding Jesus’ actions: “DISCIPLES REMEMBERED and the Jews REQUIRED A SIGN of authority. (Vs. 17-18)
– How does Mark 14:58 help clarify John’s record? _____________________________
– What do you think the disciples thought when Jesus got angry and cleansed the
temple area? ___________________________________________________________
– How does this incident help disciples after Jesus was raised from the dead? (Vs. 17-22) __________________________________________________________________
7. Does Jesus offer more (in signs) than what He offered in vs. 19? (Cf. vs. 23)
8. Vs 24-25 What did/does Jesus know about “people” in general?
9. What life and or spiritual principles can we gain from this episode in the life of Jesus recorded in John’s gospel?
Grow in grace!!!